Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||KIPP Public Charter Schools
|| Agriculture, Forestry, & Fishing, Education and Library, Financial Services, Information Technology, Counseling, Research & Development, Energy / Utilities
Elementary Assistant Principal
KIPP Minnesota Schools
Job Description: Assistant Principal
At KIPP Minnesota Schools, demographics do not determine destiny.
Who we are: KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) is a national network of free, open-enrollment, public schools with a 20-year track record of preparing students in low-income communities for success in college and in life. There are currently 183 KIPP elementary, middle, and high schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia serving nearly 68,500 students on their path to and through college. At KIPP, teachers, leaders, students, and families are all united around the same goal – college graduation. By providing outstanding educators, more time in school learning, a strong culture of achievement, and the support of KIPP through College counselors, KIPP students are attending and graduating college at rates that exceed, not just the low-income average, but the U.S. average.
Next year, we will serve over 400 students in grades K through 3 and grades 5 through 8 at two schools in north Minneapolis. KIPP Minnesota Schools is a fast-growing, entrepreneurial organization that will grow from two to five schools in the coming years.
What we do: We do whatever it takes to help our students develop knowledge, skills, and strong character. We work relentlessly so that every one of our students has the opportunity to attend college and has access to the life of choice and opportunity that college provides. We build a partnership among parents, students, and teachers that puts learning first. By providing outstanding educators, more time in school learning, and a strong culture of achievement, we are focused on helping all of our students climb the mountain to college. Nationally, more than 90 percent of KIPP middle school alumni have graduated high school, and more than 80 percent of KIPP alumni have gone on to college. By 2015, over 10,000 KIPPsters will be attending colleges throughout the country.
How we do it: There are no shortcuts to success. Outstanding educators, rigorous lessons, more time in school, and strong school culture support our students as they climb the mountain to college. We work as a team, use data, and constantly reflect to improve our practice. We believe all of our KIPPsters can make it to and through college and we stay with them every step of the way.
Why it matters: In our communities, approximately 1 in 10 students earn a college degree. We believe that this is unjust and unacceptable and, most importantly, can be changed. Nationwide, over 85% of KIPP middle school alums matriculate to college.
About the Assistant Principal Position
The Assistant Principal’s job is to support the school in driving academic and character outcomes for students as a key member of the school’s leadership team. We expect our Assistant Principals to lead both instruction and school culture and also to be able to develop leadership in the school’s emerging leaders. At KIPP, we believe that the Assistant Principal is the School Leader successor and is being actively developed for school leadership. The AP should consider him/herself an apprentice to the School Leader and the AP should gradually build capacity to lead a KIPP school.
- An unwavering belief in the mission of KIPP
- 4 or more years of teaching experience with a similar population
- 2 or more years of leadership experience that includes instructional coaching, curriculum development and managing others
- Bachelors degree (required), Masters degree (preferred)
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally under-served students as a teacher and as an instructional coach
- Valid Minnesota teaching license (or ability to obtain one prior to start of school year)
- Model and support implementation of the school’s vision and goals
- Contribute to school-wide planning and prioritizes time to accomplish goals
- Develop emerging leaders with School Leader’s guidance
- Model strong staff and student culture and manage school-wide character development and behavior management systems
- Collaborate with School Leader on hiring diverse, highly-effective teachers and school staff
- Build own and direct reports’ instructional knowledge of standards, content and instructional methods
- Develop and manage teachers to provide rigorous and high quality instruction and support School Leader in planning and implementing enabling systems of the Academic Strategies Pyramid
- Prioritize Assistant Principal’s own success and sustainability by engaging lifelines and renewing to get stronger
- Demonstrates the Core Competencies (listed below)
Core Competencies - Excellent KIPP leaders demonstrate the following skills:
Achievement: Shows a trend of excellence in endeavors and focuses on concrete results
Evidence of Commitment: Committed to teaching and raising the academic achievement of students in urban schools
- Strong academic record and rigorous course of study
- Surpassed expectations in previous employment
- Sets and meets ambitious goals
- Takes on challenges
Continuous Learning: Bases current and future endeavors on lessons drawn from previous experiences
- Active desire to teach “where needed”
- History of staying with employers/organizations
- Believes all children can and will learn
- Demonstrates a keen awareness of educational injustice issues and strong alignment to the mission of KIPP
Critical Thinking: Analyzes situations thoroughly and generates effective strategies
- Seeks feedback and data early and often and adjusts accordingly
- Reflects regularly on performance to identify areas for improvement
- Discerns the presence and nature of problems accurately
- Develops creative solutions
- Approaches difficult situations logically
- Able to suggest multiple solutions to a single problem
- Adept at data analysis; ability to extract meaningful insights across school-wide data
Communication & Professionalism
- Expertise in what the school-wide academic standards and state assessments require of students’ knowledge and skills to demonstrate mastery; able to translate student mastery requirements into instructional plans and strategies
- Deep understanding of appropriate application and differentiation of high-leverage instructional strategies (e.g. make kids sweat, pacing, stretch it, etc.) based on comprehension of child development and pedagogy
- Demonstrated ability to coach teachers using a research based teacher development cycle
Build Lasting Relationships
- Calibrates emotions even when pushed. Is able to maintain a positive tone, clarity, and level of enthusiasm with students and adults.
- Communicates praise, feedback, and concerns directly to students, families, and colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to create inclusive environments that honors and supports a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives
- Treats colleagues, students, and families as people first and works to make them feel known, loved and valued.
- Notices and intentionally takes advantage of opportunities to strengthen relationships
- Engages in genuine conversations with colleagues and families even when difficult
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
KIPP MN is an employment at-will organization.
KIPP Minnesota, KIPP North Star Academy, and KIPP North Star Primary are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
KIPP Public Charter Schools|
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ “coat of arms” ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ “crisis” ~'.
david johnson just became a new member.
calvin cannon just became a new member.
frederick roberts just posted a blog entitled 'indian co-ed moriah colbert is new miss prairie view a&m university'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ "ironically speaking!" ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ chapter 5: 'farmland, a skippack retreat?' ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ "in the soul and spirit of life and living!" ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ 'fairmount' terror in the park: the series! ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just posted a blog entitled '~ "seeing us-a lost for words" ~'.
markia alston just became a new member.
gregory boulware, esq. just posted a blog entitled '~'alexandre dumas, author/playwrite'~'.
| invite friends |