Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Arlington Heights, IL
|| Accounting/Auditing, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Information Technology, Internet/E-Commerce, Legal, Executive Management, Quality Control, Web Technology, Writing/Authoring
AML Investigator Senior Officer|
Investigates cases of potentially suspicious activity received from multiple sources, including but not limited to escalated cases from Operations Level 2, production orders, referrals from the FIU, FCI, Sanctions and other functions to identify suspicious activity that warrants filing a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR), make that determination and write the SARs as appropriate.
Analyzes sensitive information concerning customer and account activity including transactional data and conducts additional research that is potentially linked to money laundering, terrorist financing, organized crime, and other financial crime activity in order to determine if the filing of a SAR is required.
Impact on the Business
- Reviews and evaluates alerts/cases consisting of anomalous or potentially suspicious activity and makes SAR Disclosure/No Disclosure recommendation for manager’s approval.
- Reviews customer and account activity including transactions data and customer relationships to accurately identify cautionary/red flags and suspicious activities that require reporting for money laundering activities to make SAR filing determination.
- Performs name and account based research on lists and reports provided through established resources to determine if evidence of money laundering activities exist.
- Writes quality investigative narratives and SARs based upon transactional activity and customer relationships in order to report suspicious activity and evidence of possible money laundering and/or terrorist financing activities.
- Maintains familiarity with appropriate investigation techniques to support AML activities, including research utilizing bank systems, intranet, internet and external vendor solutions as appropriate.
- .Effectively communicates within the AML Investigations organization and across other functions/areas in HBUS, effectively conveying key information to both internal and external audiences as appropriate.
- Identifies significant cases that require notification to management including to the Regional Investigation Oversight Committee (RIOC).
Customers / Stakeholders
- Helps to foster a positive culture of compliance by working proactively with the AMLi, LOBs, BRCM, internal controls functions, and other Compliance professionals to ensure that best practices and systems are in place to facilitate business growth and the overall success of HSBC in accordance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and internal policy.
- Maintains relationships with internal stakeholders in AML Investigations (AMLi) and other areas to help ensure research techniques and capabilities perform at high levels.
- Maintains external awareness of research trends, information, and techniques related to money laundering, and communicates the same to appropriate levels of the AMLi organization.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Effectively communicates within AMLi re-enforcing that knowledge on key information, policies and procedures is understood with all constituents both internal and external.
- Provides support and expertise to the AMLi and FCC compliance organizations on research techniques, capabilities, and systems
- Maintains awareness of AML/BSA trends and other related industry practices helping ensure external knowledge and focus is not lost.
- Helps provide project management support on compliance-related projects and initiatives, as requested, to ensure they progress toward a common goal in alignment with agreed timelines.
- Provides assistance to other investigators when necessary/requested
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Helps monitor activities within the AML Compliance Office to ensure compliance with applicable internal policies and procedures and external regulations.
- Escalates complex or significant issues to more senior compliance employees, as appropriate.
- Participates in special AMLi reviews, projects, and training efforts, as required.
- Discharges the accountabilities set out in the Legal and Compliance Functional Instruction Manual (FIM) by pro-actively assisting management in identifying and containing compliance risk, monitoring, reporting, and certification, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
- To implement the Group compliance policy locally by containing compliance risk in liaison with the Head of Group Compliance, Global Business Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer, ensuring adequate compliance resources and training, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Financial services compliance entails a high degree of regulatory compliance and reputational risk, particularly with respect to risks arising out of non-compliance with extensive and complex regulations. Failure to comply with these regulations would have significant negative effects on relations with regulators, the reputation of the Company with the public and may result in regulatory impediments to mergers and acquisitions and significant regulatory sanctions, including regulatory fines of material amounts.
- Historical compliance issues in AML place more pressure on this and related functions. The candidate will need to operate effectively under the pressure of deadlines, constant regulatory oversight, and pressure on the level of unit performance.
- Reports directly to an AML Investigations (AMLi) Manager or Team Leader; and directly supports activities in the AML Investigations Organization and overall FCC Organization.
- Reviews systematic Anti-Money-Laundering (AML) alerts and determines whether transactions occurring are valid Anti-Money Laundering risks. Performs encompassing research taking into account various AML risk factors and indicators to determine if a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) requires completion. If a SAR is not required, the investigator must rationalize why the transaction is not an AML risk and document same. If a SAR is required, they must write and complete the SAR within the required timeframe following the Global Standards SLAs and AMLi Procedures. In no circumstance must an initial filing of the SAR go beyond the FinCEN regulation of 30 days.
- The Investigator may be responsible for writing SAR reports, in less complicated transactions as well as complete enhanced due diligence (EDD) reviews on high risk customers and Special Category of Clients (SCC) accounts if and when appropriate.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of policies and procedures pertaining to the role. Aware of what constitutes an effective control environment.
- Coordinates internal processes for the revision, review, approval, and publication of policies applicable to the business unit as well as internal departmental procedures to support functions that are the responsibility of Compliance.
- Establishes process for the distribution of Compliance related communications from the department. Partners with management to create and deliver internal training and manage special projects within the department
- A Supplemental SAR review of previously named SAR subjects’ transactions will be performed by the AMLi Investigator 90 days after the initial SAR was filed, and it is the responsibility of the Investigator to ensure that a supplemental SAR is filed within 120 days of the initial SAR filing if additional potentially suspicious activity is discovered during the 90 day review.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance, operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues., The physical demands/work environment described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Show by example effective workflow management and time management skills.
- Meets all deliverables for QA reviews, analyses and regular or special reporting.
- Adheres to the Firm’s Statement of Business Principles and Code of Ethics.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- As appropriate for the role, ensures alignment with regulatory requirements, the Compliance FIM, HNAH’s Enterprise Compliance Policy and Program, HNAH’s BSA/AML Policy, other Group policies and all related policies and procedures.
- Communicates control weaknesses to other group leaders and business management in accordance with issue escalation procedures.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting, related field or equivalent experience. AML investigative experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, communications, analytical and project management skills.
- Thorough knowledge of products, services, operations and systems and extensive dealing with laws, regulations and regulatory agencies related to assigned areas.
- Proficiency with personal computers and pertinent mainframe systems and software packages.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ chapter 5: 'farmland, a skippack retreat?' ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ "in the soul and spirit of life and living!" ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ 'fairmount' terror in the park: the series! ~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just posted a blog entitled '~ "seeing us-a lost for words" ~'.
markia alston just became a new member.
gregory boulware, esq. just posted a blog entitled '~'alexandre dumas, author/playwrite'~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~“it came across my desk”~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~"a man of color?"~'.
gregory boulware, esq. just commented on a blog entitled '~ “out from the shadows” ~'.
christina harris just became a new member.
antoine fisher just edited his profile.
antoine fisher just commented on a poll entitled 'christians read the story about jesus in the new testament ,,,but '.
| invite friends |