2018-19 Elementary Assistant School Leader
Assistant School Leader
Grade Levels: K-3
Start Date: June 2018
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
School: KIPP Jacksonville Elementary School
Application Link: http://kippcareers.force.com/JobDetail?id=a0X0W000009dCKE
KIPP, the Knowledge Is Power Program, is a national non-profit network of college-preparatory, public charter schools. There are 209 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia educating nearly 90,000 students in elementary, middle, and high school. You can learn more at www.kipp.org.
About KIPP Jacksonville Schools
KIPP Jacksonville Schools is dedicated to preparing students in our city’s educationally underserved communities with the knowledge, skills, habits, and character for success in college and life. KIPP Jacksonville is comprised of three schools that serve the North and Westside of Jacksonville, Florida: KIPP Impact Middle School, KIPP VOICE Elementary, and KIPP Jacksonville Elementary. We currently educate more than 1,000 students. With an ever-growing waiting list, we aim to grow to 2,000 students within the next four years. In the 2018-19 school year, KIPP Impact Middle School will serve grades 5, 6 and 8, KIPP VOICE Elementary will serve K-4, and KIPP Jacksonville Elementary will serve K-3 (KIPP Jacksonville Elementary will add a new grade level on an annual basis).
KIPP Jacksonville Schools employs more than 100 full-time staff at our campus, three miles west of downtown Jacksonville. We seek educators and colleagues that represent our core values of high expectations, a growth mindset, and commitment to team. To learn more about what it is like to work and teach at KIPP Jacksonville Schools, please visit www.kippjax.org/teach. To see all openings, visit our Regional Job Board at http://kippcareers.force.com/jobboard?site=Jacksonville.
- Bachelor's Degree (required); Master's Degree (preferred)
- Minimum of four (4) years of teaching experience with a proven track-record of high student achievement for elementary-age students (highly preferred)
- Experience teaching in an urban public school or charter school setting (highly preferred)
- Experience teaching in a Florida tested grade level since Common Core adoption OR coaching teachers that utilize Common Core (highly preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to coach classroom teachers to high student achievement results (highly preferred)
- KIPP Jacksonville Schools believes that our staff will represent our core values—high expectations, a growth mindset and commitment to team. We search for established educators who embody them.
- High Expectations: leaders will demonstrate a commitment to working with educationally underserved students in Jacksonville and hold a high bar of excellence for both themselves, teachers and their students.
- Growth Mindset: We believe that every member of our KIPP community can learn more, become smarter, or be more effective if they work hard and persevere. Leaders must have the desire and humility to receive and implement feedback to improve their practice and be able to effectively coach teachers.
- Commitment to Team: We are in this work together. Leaders believe that greater success comes from working together as a team. For our students to reach their potential, our team must take great care of our students and each other.
KIPP Jacksonville seeks an Elementary School Assistant School Leader (previously called Vice Principal) for the 2018-19 school year as we continue to grow our elementary teams. KIPP Jacksonville team members are responsible for doing whatever it takes to ensure that every KIPPster achieves the skills, habits and characters needed for success at competitive colleges and universities.
- Facilitating a culture of constant learning and collaboration with students, instructional staff, families, and community members.
- Based on school-wide academic goals, instructional priorities and individual development goals, lead staff members to achieve high performance through goal setting and evaluation, as well as, coaching and feedback
- Serve as a key member of the KIPP Jacksonville Leadership Team, representing the school to a variety of audiences and supporting all necessary functions for school management and success
- Orient new staff members to the teaching environment at KIPP Jacksonville, especially as it relates to the area of student personnel policy and procedures, general school practices and routines, and KIPP Jacksonville’s vision, values, beliefs and non-negotiables.
- Advise, support, celebrate, and mentor individual teachers to improve instruction through:
- Consistent classroom observation and feedback/coaching
- Facilitating curriculum planning and evaluating unit and lesson plans
- Promoting continuous, high-quality assessment as a means for evaluating student achievement
- Collaborating with the School Leader and members of the Leadership Team to implement, evaluate and refine a comprehensive professional development program for teachers
- Leading staff members to set and achieve audacious individual, classroom, and grade-level goals
- Lead teacher and staff evaluations quarterly
- In coordination with the School Leader and Leadership Team, evaluate school performance data to make holistic and individual recommendations for improving instructional practices
- Work with school leadership, counselor and teachers to enhance and refine the rituals, systems and practices that shape our school culture and guide students struggling with behavior choices
- Guide and promote character development of students through deliberate programming practices and by coaching teachers in developing stronger relationships with students
- Work with teachers and counselors to develop innovative strategies, preventative approaches, and proactive plans for students who exhibit at-risk behaviors
- Provide support for teachers with students who need additional behavior assistance
- Model, promote, and coach others toward effective communication with parents so that KIPP families fully engaged in the education of their student and in KIPP Jacksonville’s mission
- Work with teachers and students so that in all ways, we leave places, people and ideas better than we found them
- Work in conjunction with the School Leader and the leadership team to supervise all school activities i.e., dances, concerts, orientation programs, plays, musicals, field trips, and other special events
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the School Leader
- Our compensation is very competitive and is commensurate with experience
- Free individual health benefits (including medical, dental and vision)
- 403(b) retirement program with a company match
- All ASLs receive individualized coaching and professional development, including national KIPP Foundation programming and support
Internal candidates: If you are currently a member of the KIPP Jacksonville team & family, please follow the following steps. 1) Inform your direct manager AND School Leader that you are applying to this position and 2) complete the full application online.
External candidates: If you do not currently work for KIPP Jacksonville Schools, please visit http://kippcareers.force.com/JobDetail?id=a0X0W000009dCKE and complete an online application. Only applications received through the KIPP Careers portal are accepted at this time.
Applicants will not be considered if they submit materials to the school or email resumes to staff. The complete link to copy and paste in your browser is:
Please contact Lauren at email@example.com with any questions but please do not submit resumes to this email address.