Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||KIPP Public Charter Schools
|| Education and Library, Financial Services, Information Technology, Executive Management, Research & Development, Energy / Utilities
Middle School ESL Specialist
Who we are.
KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) is a national network of free, open-enrollment, public schools that are successful in helping students from educationally underserved communities develop the knowledge, skills, character, and habits needed to succeed in college and the competitive world beyond.There are currently 209 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia serving nearly 88,000 students.Today, KIPP Massachusetts operates 2 districts in the greater Boston area educating nearly 1,890 students and families and over 400 alumni on their journeys to and through college with our KIPP Through College Program.
What we do & why it matters.
Nation-wide, only 10% of students from low income communities like Lynn and Boston graduate from college, compared to 84% of their more affluent peers. Preparing our students for successful lives of independence and impact drives the work of all KIPP school leaders, teachers, and staff. Nationally, KIPP alumni graduate from college at 4 times the national average, which is good, but not good enough. We project our High School class of 2015, the first to benefit from a 5-12 KIPP education, will graduate from college at 5 times the national average. Our goal is for 75% of our alumni to graduate from college.
In Lynn we are building a K-12 education system.Our High Rock campus in Lynn is home to KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary educating 366 students in grades K-2, KIPP Academy Lynn Middle School educating 483 students in grades 5-8 and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate High School educating 485 students in grades 9-12.We are excited to grow our Lynn elementary school to include grades K-3 in 2018-2019 and grades K-4 by 2019-2020.
Our Blue Hill campus in Mattapan is home to KIPP Academy Boston Elementary School educating 283 K-3 students and KIPP Academy Boston Middle School, educating 269 students in grades 5-8 and families in our newest K-8 school. We are excited to grow our Boston elementary school to include grades K-4 in 2018-2019 resulting in a fully grown K – 8 campus.
Across all our schools, 81% of students are economically disadvantaged, 14% receive Special Education services, and 20% are identified as English Language Learners.At KIPP, we believe that all kids can and will learn, and our staff members are dedicated to ensuring we serve the needs of all our learners. We are at our best when we are engaging students’ joy and curiosity through rigorous curriculum that will put them on the paths toward lives of independence and impact.
By 2020, KIPP will serve 10% or more of Lynn public school students and join our charter peers in Boston to serve 20% of Boston’s public school students.We will also scale our KIPP through College (KTC) program to serve 857 alumni by 2020, effectively tripling the total number of students reached by KIPP Massachusetts.
The ESL Specialist will be key to ensuring that KIPP Massachusetts serves its population of students well. The ESL Specialist will support students through small group teaching, inclusive teaching, and individual pull outs as needed. The ESL Specialist will collaborate with teachers to plan and execute lessons that will lead all learners to mastery and to ensure students have the accommodations and modifications necessary to fully access the lesson. The ESL Specialist will also meet with students individually and in small groups to practice skills and support English language development.
As a case manager, the ESL Specialist is responsible for initial identification of ELL students, monitoring and supporting student progress, parent communication, advocating for students as needed, and ESL curriculum development. ESL Specialists work in the epicenter of cultural diversity within our region of schools, interacting with kids and families from a wide variety of countries and backgrounds. With the help of our ESL Specialists, our ELL students make tremendous social and academic growth as they gain the language skills they need to be successful in school and beyond.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead small-group instruction (push-in and pull-out) for math students in grades 5-8
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to support students through a variety of strategies, including co-teaching and pushing into classrooms
- Utilize data to inform instruction, group students, and target skills and strategies for instruction
- Create a communication system to inform teachers of student progress
- Plan units and lessons to meet the needs of individual students and groups
- Facilitate parent meetings on services and strategies to support their children’s learning
- Administer various assessments, and use the results to inform curriculum development and classroom instruction
- Work collaboratively with teachers on best ways to differentiate and accommodate intervention students
- Assist grade teams and teachers with helpful resources to improve instruction
- Ensure compliance with district and state math mandates
- Other duties as assigned
At KIPP, we believe that an excellent staff member does the following:
- Believes that all of us can and will learn and creates a positive learning environment with high expectations for all students and staff throughout the school;
- Thrives as part of a team-oriented, mission-driven culture;
- Exudes joy and a love of learning every single day;
- Demonstrates a growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through feedback, coaching, and professional development;
- Constantly assesses progress, communicates results clearly, and uses data to inform decisions and set ambitious goals.
- Has a strong work ethic and commits to doing whatever it takes for students to excel, including committing to an extended work day and remaining available to colleagues, students, and families outside of school hours
Qualified candidates have the following:
- A belief in the mission and values of KIPP
- Demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally under-served students (preferred)
- At least two years of teaching experience (strongly preferred)
- Bachelor’s Degree required
KIPP Public Charter Schools|