Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||KIPP Public Charter Schools
|| Education and Library, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician, Information Technology, Retail/Wholesale, Research & Development, Medical
High School Special Education Teacher
*This role has a July 16th, 2018 start date*
KIPP Austin’s NEXT APPLICATION DEADLINE is coming up on Sunday, February 18, 2018. We strongly encourage applicants who are interested in 2018-19 roles to apply by this date. We can’t wait to learn more about you!
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Special Education Teacher is responsible for ensuring that all special education students receive comprehensive, compassionate and equitable services in order to achieve breakthrough academic achievement and character development. The Special Education Teacher will serve as an intervention specialist to assist teachers in helping every child meet grade level goals and will oversee the program and systems for all students who receive special education services. All KIPP Austin staff has a responsibility for ensuring that every KIPP Austin student achieves the academic skills, intellectual habits and character traits necessary to succeed in the nation’s top colleges and universities.
Founded in 2008, KIPP Austin Collegiate (KAC) high school is a college preparatory school located in North Austin. KAC's academic program is designed to support the goal and expectation that 100% of our scholars will enroll in and graduate from college. With a focus on rigor, we work to ensure that every student in every classroom is engaged in rigorous college preparatory content every day. KIPP Austin Collegiate boasts a 100% high school graduation rate, and 100% of our most recent graduating class, the Class of 2015, was accepted into college.
Founded in 2016, KIPP Austin Brave (KAB) high school opened in 2016 with a class of 220 ninth grade students and has expanded to a 10th grade for 2017-18. We will be hiring for the 11th grade class! Fully grown, the school will serve 750+ students. KAB focuses on providing students with a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum as well as opportunities to explore their passions, take risks and grow as people.
- At least 2 years of experience working as a special education teacher in an urban school (preferred)
- Experience with and strong knowledge of local and national special education laws and mandates
- An active, valid Texas Standard Special Education certification or Probationary Special Education certification (required)
- Bachelor’s degree (required); Master’s degree (preferred)
- Unwavering commitment to KIPP Austin’s mission, students, families, and community
- Strong record of helping students achieve academic success, primarily with minority and low-income students
- Strong desire to teach an academically intense curriculum and commit to an extended school day, week, and year
- Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a teacher and professional; offer and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Austin students
- Increase student growth and achievement
- Meet desired goals/benchmarks on Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and district-wide, state, and national assessments and measures of growth
- Ensure growth, development, and demonstration of character traits and KIPP Austin values
- Collaborate with teachers to develop effective whole group practices, small group interventions, and individualized learning activities
- Assist teachers with tracking data to determine the effectiveness of interventions
- Lead professional development for grade level teams and the school
- Plan and teach small groups in the general/special education setting
- Preteach math/science content in small group Study Skills Class (for KIPP Austin Collegiate only)
- Develop, coordinate and track individual student plans for all special services
- Provide direct student support through small group instruction and inclusion in the general education classroom
- Collaborate with teachers so that they provide instructional support that leads to dramatic academic gains for students
- Manage additional resources and support (OT/PT, etc.), where necessary
- Monitor and lead all IEP processes; serve as lead communicator with teachers and principal
- Coordinate dissemination of information on student needs to principal and teachers
- Maintain all documentation and records for individual students; ensure confidentiality in reporting
- Monitor for compliance with state and federal laws, ensuring consistent, fail-safe and quality documentation; provide comprehensive, work with staff to provide holistic reporting of student performance data to principal; serve as lead contact for authorized visits
- Advise teachers and principal on accommodation processes for state and school-wide assessments
- Accommodate and/or modify a curriculum that is aligned with the standards of KIPP Austin and Texas
- Assess individual student’s progress and learning needs; demonstrate a relentless focus on helping students achieve
- Communicate students’ progress toward realizing academic and character development goals with families on a weekly basis
- Some teachers may manage and support other Special Education teachers and/or Paraprofessionals on the Special Education team
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
- Competitive salaries and bonus program
- Teacher Career pathway with expert teacher development and opportunities for career advancement
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision coverage options with 79-95% of monthly medical premium costs (depending on the plan) paid by KIPP Austin
- 100% KIPP-paid short-term disability
- Paid parental leave (amount paid based on tenure)
- On-campus dry cleaning pick-up
- Retail discounts
- Gold’s Gym individual and family plan discount
OUR MISSION: KIPP Austin Public Schools believes that every child, regardless of economic background has the right to an exemplary education. We will empower our students to thrive in and graduate from college, choose their paths, and positively impact their communities.
No phone calls or emails please.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
KIPP Public Charter Schools|