Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||KIPP Public Charter Schools
||Boston Area, MA
|| Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations, Arts, Entertainment, and Media, Construction, Mining and Trades, Education and Library, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Human Resources, Information Technology, Internet/E-Commerce, Real Estate, Sales, Transportation, Research & Development, Web Technology, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services, Writing/Authoring, Energy / Utilities
Managing Director of External Affairs
Who we are.
KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) is a national network of free, open-enrollment, public schools that are successful in helping students from educationally underserved communities develop the knowledge, skills, character, and habits needed to succeed in college and the competitive world beyond.There are currently 209 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia serving nearly 88,000 students.Today, KIPP Massachusetts operates 2 districts in the greater Boston area educating nearly 1,890 students and families and over 400 alumni on their journeys to and through college with our KIPP Through College Program.
What we do & why it matters.
Nation-wide, only 10% of students from low income communities like Lynn and Boston graduate from college, compared to 84% of their more affluent peers. Preparing our students for successful lives of independence and impact drives the work of all KIPP school leaders, teachers, and staff. Nationally, KIPP alumni graduate from college at 4 times the national average, which is good, but not good enough. We project our High School class of 2015, the first to benefit from a 5-12 KIPP education, will graduate from college at 5 times the national average. Our goal is for 75% of our alumni to graduate from college.
In Lynn we are building a K-12 education system.Our High Rock campus in Lynn is home to KIPP Academy Lynn Elementary educating 366 students in grades K-2, KIPP Academy Lynn Middle School educating 483 students in grades 5-8 and KIPP Academy Lynn Collegiate High School educating 485 students in grades 9-12.We are excited to grow our Lynn elementary school to include grades K-3 in 2018-2019 and grades K-4 by 2019-2020.
Our Blue Hill campus in Mattapan is home to KIPP Academy Boston Elementary School educating 283 K-3 students and KIPP Academy Boston Middle School, educating 269 students in grades 5-8 and families in our newest K-8 school. We are excited to grow our Boston elementary school to include grades K-4 in 2018-2019 resulting in a fully grown K – 8 campus.
Across all our schools, 81% of students are economically disadvantaged, 14% receive Special Education services, and 20% are identified as English Language Learners.At KIPP, we believe that all kids can and will learn, and our staff members are dedicated to ensuring we serve the needs of all our learners. We are at our best when we are engaging students’ joy and curiosity through rigorous curriculum that will put them on the paths toward lives of independence and impact.
By 2020, KIPP will serve 10% or more of Lynn public school students and join our charter peers in Boston to serve 20% of Boston’s public school students.We will also scale our KIPP through College (KTC) program to serve 857 alumni by 2020, effectively tripling the total number of students reached by KIPP Massachusetts.
KIPP MA is continuing to strengthen and broaden our work with students, families, and alumni. To lead the critical fundraising and advocacy efforts, KIPP MA seeks the immediate addition of a Managing Director (MD) of External Affairs. Reporting to the Executive Director and engaging with the Board, this individual will drive the external relationship strategy for KIPP MA including strengthening the organization’s brand, securing conditions for growth, and building and maintaining productive relationships with elected officials, donors, community leaders and members, media outlets, and KIPP MA team and family.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Development (65% of the role)
◦ Accountable for achievement of KIPP MA’s annual and multi-year private fundraising goals.
Directly manage the Senior Director of Development with leadership support of two additional team members to meet or exceed annual and capital campaign development goals
◦ Establish vision for KIPP MA’s engagement with current and prospective donors, Board members, and community members
◦ Steward current donors and foundation relations and acquisition of new donors
◦ Provide critical input into event planning, proposals, and grant and prospect reports
◦ Leverage systems that ensure accurate and timely reporting to donors on the impact of their giving through acknowledgement letters, regular communications, and programmatic updates
Political Advocacy and Community Engagement (10% of the role)
◦ Engage internal and external stakeholders to explore, evaluate, and generate excitement around potential opportunities for growth.
◦ Expand KIPP MA’s impact and influence on key issues facing the communities KIPP MA serves.
◦ Build productive relationships with Massachusetts’s major stakeholders and constituencies, including elected officials, community leaders, community groups and members, and the media.
◦ Identify and develop strategic collaboration and coordination with external partners.
◦ Recommend and where appropriate advocate or join coalitions for policy changes that improve the operating environment for KIPP and other schools.
◦ Represent KIPP MA as an ambassador, advocate, and partner within public forums and events.
◦Proactively engage with current and potential KIPP MA families and communities, as critical advocates and ambassadors for KIPP MA
Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations (10% of the role)
◦ Build a comprehensive marketing and media strategy with emphasis on online communications (web, e-newsletters, social media) in support of KIPP MA’s goals to build awareness, engagement, and support.
◦ Assess and strategize responses to all incoming media requests, and communicate with relevant media as a spokesperson when appropriate.
◦ Create messaging, talking points, and strategy for all organizational communication to strengthen our brand.
◦ Track metrics and data to ensure alignment and effectiveness of marketing and communications efforts.
Leadership and Management (10% of the role)
◦ Manage a small team to consistently high performance by establishing a compelling vision and clear goals.
◦ Select, develop, and retain exceptional individuals by cultivating a culture of high expectations and support.
◦ Drive work across the organization by productively engaging stakeholders across various functional areas.
Real Estate and Facilities (5% of the role)
◦ Accountable for ensuring KIPP MA’s schools have adequate facilities in place and on time to support growth.
Identify and investigate potential school facilities.
◦ Support contract negotiations to rent or purchase long term viable campus space.
◦ Own provision of building services including, but not limited to, finance, construction, maintenance, and student transportation.
◦ Collaborate with Finance and Operations functions to ensure sustainable financing and operational viability of facilities.
At KIPP, we believe that an excellent staff member does the following:
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of KIPP
- Belief in and action towards creating a organization that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- Excels in a fast-paced work environment and adeptly manages multiple priorities
- Interest in and ability to regularly give, receive, and implement feedback
- Uses data to set ambitious goals, assess progress, and communicate results
- Effectively and compellingly communicates in person and in writing to various audiences
- Exhibits sound decision making in moments of high stress
- Models optimism and perseverance in the face of challenges
- Possess a track record of success in previous roles
Qualified candidates have the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree in Education, Public Policy, or Business strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of work experience, ideally in fast-paced, growing non-profit organizations
- Minimum of 3 years of people/team management experience
- Proven ability to build coalitions and consensus among various stakeholders
- Experience navigating complex political and educational landscapes
- Track record or knowledge of how to reach significant development goals
- Working knowledge of the people and policies of Massachusetts education preferred
Internal candidates: If you are currently a member of the KIPP MA team, please apply by emailing your resume to the Recruitment Team at Talent@kippma.org. Be sure to indicate to which position you wish to apply.
External candidates: If you do not currently work for the KIPP:MA team, please visit our job board at http://kippcareers.force.com/jobboard?site=Massachusetts and complete an online application.
- Submit your resume and application through our online job board.
- The KIPP MA Talent Team will select candidates to complete a phone interview to allow us to learn more about your goals and experiences. If selected, you will receive an email from the KIPP MA team to schedule a call.
- Following the phone interview, qualified candidates will be asked to complete a performance task.
- From there, finalists will be selected and invited to an in-person interview day that will include multiple interviews, role simulations, and round table discussions. References will be requested prior to the Selection Day.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
KIPP MA is an employment at-will organization.
KIPP Massachusetts, KIPP Academy Lynn, and KIPP Academy Boston are equal opportunity employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, gender identity, religion, creed, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, special need, proficiency in the English language, or a foreign language. We are committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
KIPP Public Charter Schools|