Vice President, Global Risk Analytics|
Managing specific aspects within the team.
This GCB4 position helps the GRA Global Head of Mantas and Norkom in supporting on boarding of the highest caliber of FCC Analytics professionals, driving career progression opportunities, development of analytical and technical expertise within GRA FCC. This position leads team members to execute monitoring strategy, data acquisition and research, model validation & optimization and overall general analytical support for all FCC functions under the vision of the GRA Global Head of Mantas and Norkom.
Lead a team of analyst in carrying out key functions aligned to the vision of the Head of Mantas and Norkom. The functions can be in one of the following area:
• Head of Research and Advanced Analytics: this function primarily focuses on research areas that utilizing statistical analysis and data mining approaches to improved FCC analytics, including segmentation, ATL/BTL, Big Data, Entity Consolidation, and Repetitive Alert analysis.
• Scenario Development: this function primarily focuses on scenario design of new typologies and optimizing existing scenarios.
• Scenario testing and tuning: this function primarily focuses on scenario testing and tuning, to ensure correct analytics being applied and being implemented in production
• Data Analytics: this function primarily focuses on data quality, metric reports, and any adhoc data request or reports
• Model Validation: this function primarily focuses on documentation, governance, ensuring all processes and methodology meet requirements from Independent Model Review, Model Oversight Committee, and Internal Audit
Impact on the Business/Function
Ensure compliance of quantitative aspects of model development, operation and governance with model framework.
• Support delivery of analytics initiatives for GRA TM controls and tools globally across all business lines - RBWM, CMB, GBM and GPB for the full range of project management responsibilities and outreach and liaison activities;
• Ensure appropriate oversight and governance of initiatives, benefits tracking and realization
• Ensure due observance of HSBC Internal Control Standards and Group Compliance Policy, including the timely implementation of recommendations made by internal / external auditors and external regulators
• Support the delivery the GRA requirements for all AML TM Compliance risk models
• Support Senior manager of Execution to ensure projects at regional levels are carried out effectively;
• Support Senior manager of Strategy and work with engagement team, regional IT, and regional FCC for each LOB to ensure GRA activities are well coordinated and communicated.
Customers / Stakeholders
Regulatory & Risk Analytics Quantitative Senior Manager
• Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
- Form a meaningful working relationship with FCC Operations; other GRA Teams and AML FCC peers and stakeholders
• Ensure that the Line Management are appropriately advised of material AML TM issues
Leadership & Teamwork
• Communicate a clear vision for WMR that is aligned to the overall HSBC vision, Values and goals, and inspires and engages people to create an inclusive, high performing, customer-centred culture.
• Lead, develop and motivate the leadership team to attract, retain and develop the capacity, capability and talent to provide for succession and ensure delivery of business objectives.
• Set expectations, share best practice and manage, monitor, coach and develop team leaders and others to ensure that they maximise their performance, meet the required standards, and continuously develop their capabilities and experience.
• Lead and encourage constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and matrix management in action and challenging actions and behaviours that are not consistent with HSBC's diversity policy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers.
- Lead team of analysts to deliver of efficient and effective Financial Crime Compliance AML detection Mantas and Norkom systems globally or in a specific region. Successful implementation of global technology plans and regional specific technology plan. Execution of analytics to support deployments. Monitoring project progress and adjust resource usage accordingly. Escalate issues to senior manager in a timely fashion. Conduct team training in a regular based to bring all team members to speed.
Operational Effectiveness & Control:
• Manage the processes, infrastructure and resources needed to deliver agreed team plans and targets, identifying and implementing improvements and collaborating with colleagues to maximise end to end integration, effectiveness and efficiency.
• Maintain a robust and efficient control environment across WMR to ensure good operational, financial and project management and compliance with HSBC policy and procedures, together with early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise.
• Lead the development, implementation and maintenance of WMR Traded Risk & Wholesale Credit Risk management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels.
• Lead the implementation and oversight of WMR Traded Risk & Wholesale Credit Risk policy and governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance.
• Develop and maintain a current knowledge of industry AML initiatives and best practices. Develop general awareness of AML regulatory changes affecting system development projects and assist AML LCOs and project teams in remaining compliant
• Support GRA efforts to deliver AML strategic TM objectives while also ensuring BAU control changes and analytics are delivered within the overall governance framework
• Deliver analysis to support best practice AML TM Solutions to deliver business objectives and optimal system performance as a global standard
• Maintain awareness of operational risk within assigned portfolio and minimise the likelihood of it occurring including its identification, assessment, mitigation and control, loss identification and reporting.
Management of Risk
The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defence’. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
• Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
• Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
Observation of Internal Controls
The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
Able to produce and interrogate complex analytical data
- Minimum of 7 years proven and progressive experience in financial services data analysis and/or application development; AML Compliance specific experience preferred
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as Generalized Linear Model, Clustering, SVM, Random Forests, k-NN, Naive Bayes, Bagging, Artificial Neural Network, etc.
- Extensive technical skill in data mining and statistical analysis
- Experience with big data platform (Hadoop, Spark, etc.) and big data software
- Excellent pattern recognition and predictive modeling skills
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Impala
- Experience with machine learning toolkits, such as R, Python, SAS, MatLab, etc. Excellence in two or more of these is highly desirable
- Proficiency in using data visualization tools, such as Tableau, Spotfire, Ayasdi, D3.js, GGplot, etc.
- Able to understand various data structures and common methods in data transformation
- Data-oriented personality
- Strong managerial, communication, analytical, organizational and decision making skills
- Good understanding of the business activities for a large global banking group with diverse operations from retail banking, wealth management, commercial banking, global banking, investments, transaction services, asset management, private banking and insurance
- Proven ability to clearly articulate business and regulatory implications of analysis and findings both to Compliance Colleagues and Business Heads
- Experience of AML TM monitoring systems
- Experience of developing operating models and control frameworks
- Strong knowledge of production management techniques