Humanities/Old Testament (F375)|
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running.
Position Title: Honors College Faculty (Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor)
Position Tracking Number: F375
School/College: Honors College
Location: Azusa Campus
The Honors College seeks a full-time faculty person with scholarly expertise in Old Testament/Biblical Studies to teach in a Humanities Great Texts program.
The Honors College telos is to liberally educate the next generation of intellectually-gifted Christian leaders. The recently designed curriculum features “high-impact” practices that foster student engagement and improve learning, including a common, interconnected curriculum, a strong first-year experience, engagement with life’s big questions, rigorous writing-intensive classes, flipped classrooms, and a capstone experience. The Honors College intends to produce scholarly disciples, equipped and worthy to assume positions of influence, having grown in wisdom, virtue, faith, and eloquence.
Faculty members in the Honors College are generalists who team-teach multiple courses. This faculty position must contribute to an integrated core texts humanities program as an Old Testament specialist with a competence in the history of ideas. Candidates must be eager to work with students from a variety of academic majors in interdisciplinary and integrative ways, helping them grow, not simply in understanding, but in leadership, virtue, and faith.
Ideal candidates will be accomplished lecturers and discussion facilitators who offer the following:
* Experience in a great texts program either as a student or as a teacher
* A record of teaching excellence
* A passion for learning and for the humanities
* A desire and ability to pursue scholarly activity
* Competence in writing instruction
* An eagerness to aid the intellectual, moral, and spiritual growth of high-achieving students
* A capability to help students in sharpening their capacities to think critically, listen attentively, and communicate cogently, clearly, and persuasively
* An ability to work well in a collaborative work environment
Specialization: Old Testament. Wisdom Literature (Biblical and non-biblical). Old Testament Leaders. Humanities (Great Texts).
Responsibilities: Major responsibilities include:
* Teaching great texts courses
* Leading small, discussion-based, intellectually stimulating colloquies
* Conducting personal and guiding student research/scholarship
* Participating in the Honors College community, including faculty meetings and activities as well as events such as orientation, student recruitment, fund-raising, field trips, and banquets
* Engaging in student mentoring and advising
* Contributing to program assessment and curriculum refinement
* Serving the larger university community
* May be needed to work at alternative teaching sites.
Level: Rank Open
* Earned Ph.D., D.Phil., or Th.D. strongly preferred
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Proven success in teaching excellence in an undergraduate liberal arts program
* Desire and ability to integrate one’s Christian faith into the curriculum
Experience: Previous experience and demonstrated excellence in university teaching and service to a university is desirable. Candidates seeking appointment at Associate or Full professor level must demonstrate evidence of scholarly research and publications.
Workload: Full-time Faculty, 10-month position.
* Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects.
* Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
* Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
Hire Date: Open until filled.
Candidates must align with Azusa Pacific University's Christian identity. Faculty members are expected to sign a Statement of Faith (available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe), to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook, and to integrate the Christian faith in teaching and scholarship.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Qualifications & Requirements
Please see job description