Head of Credit Services US|
The role has a country remit with functional and operational responsibility for all Credit Services activity throughout the United States both in country and in offshore locations. The primary focus is to drive up the customer experience and advocacy, manage the operational risk and realise lower operating costs. Principally, this requires functional oversight of Credit Services processes and managing any tactical, strategic and regulatory-driven change initiatives necessary to achieve desired levels of customer experience, quality, risk management, operational efficiency and alignment to Global Business demand. Active engagement with stakeholders across Global Businesses, Global Risk, HOST and Global Ops shared services as required (including OTPE, Shared Services, COO)
This is a senior leadership role within US Operations and the individual is the primary interface for in-country & off-shore Credit Services with Global Business stakeholders.
The role reports functionally to the Regional Head of Wholesale Operations.
Responsible for circa 120 staff both onshore and in multiple offshore locations
Impact on the Business
- Actively identify and realise customer service benefits and cost savings through automation, elimination and standardisation to deliver cost efficient, high quality and scalable services for the business partners.
- Country lead for US Credit Services processes covering limit loading, central funding desk and documentation and closing activities.
- Drive service excellence through operational oversight of in-country & off-shore Credit Services teams and deliver quality, risk, people and financial performance targets.
- Provide country level insights into global re-engineering initiatives e.g. Global Minimum Standard / customer journey design for a process and ensure that these are deployed in close partnership with business and service delivery teams.
- Implement Credit Services strategy, by migrating work to the most appropriate, cost effective location to leverage cost and efficiency benefits of Global Operations capabilities. This can include outsourcing of work to a third party.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Proactively engage with Country Business partners, Operations leadership team, OTPE and other stakeholders in Global Functions to ensure that goals of in-country & off-shore Credit Services teams are aligned to Business strategy and demand.
- Drive re-engineering agenda for Credit Services in Region, to improve customer experience, while managing risk and reducing operating costs.
- Articulate and champion the Operations operating model for Credit Services throughout the United States, influencing Businesses and Functions across the Region to ensure consistent delivery of a cost effective Credit Services proposition which meet and aims to exceed customer expectations
- Ensure Performance Level Agreements are agreed through demand management process and then achieved or exceeded.
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Provide leadership to in-country & off-shore Credit Services teams and build a strong commercial and customer centric culture.
- Define and develop strong business service competencies and capabilities.
- Functional and Operational, lead a team of Credit Services Operations business service practitioners and subject matter experts across Region
- Ensure the Operation team has the appropriate skills, putting development plans in place as required, to deliver a high quality operational service, including training framework
- Demonstrate HSBC Values and behaviours and ensure that Credit Services Operations teams embody these values and principles at all times.
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Ensure alignment of in-country & off-shore Credit Services headcount and organisation blue-print with Global Credit Services Operations blue-print, business framework and service catalogue. Manage the boundary changes for cost/headcount through established global governance.
- Working closely with Country Production Management team and Country Head of Operation, build strong focus around production management levers/tools and drive production management principles for realising operational efficiencies.
- Keep knowledge updated surrounding external regulatory and business developments in the US, proactively assessing and managing potential impact to in-country & off-shore operations.
- Maintain HSBC internal control standards throughout Credit Services Operations, including the timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Flexibility and adaptability – A dynamic business environment with multiple priorities that are unpredictable and wide ranging. The role requires management of complex and broad range of operational challenges/issues across United States.
- In order to effectively manage change in a volatile environment, the jobholder is required to have a broad and deep understanding of businesses, regulatory issues, as well as the competitive landscape. The incumbent will be required to stay abreast of the rapidly changing regulatory environment and more stringent regulatory interface and intervention.
- This role requires proactive collaboration with multiple stakeholders to deliver results. The role holder must be able to influence senior management and articulate clear business reasons for change initiatives.
- The incumbent is required to effectively collaborate across HOST functions, in-country & off-shore Operation teams and Global Functions to deliver Global Operations goals. This will involve driving results through a shared services organisation where leveraging resources across functions is key.
- Sensitivity and trust – engendering a true sense of urgency, pace, community and collaboration
- Driving operational performance to global standards across in-country & off-shore locations throughout the region, requiring the ability to work effectively with diverse and virtual teams in a matrix organisation structure.
- Driving digital change agenda to improve customer experience and reduce operations activity in E2E customer journey
- Managing a large diverse team across multiple onshore and offshore locations
- The role will report functionally to the Head of Wholesale Canada.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance with Credit Regulations impacting the various departments within Credit Services including compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology. This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defence’. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Extensive experience in Operations and Risk Management, including strong operational control capabilities, strong credit background, a proven track record in delivery, and a broad understanding of United States business lines.
- Planning, organising and commercial skills, including strong financial management capabilities
- Capacity to operate well across cultures and in culturally diverse work environments
- Relationship management, programme, change and project management skills
- Communication, presentation and influencing skills
- Experience of creating, leading and motivating large cross culture, virtual and country/regional or global teams.