Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
|| Accounting/Auditing, Banking, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Information Technology, Installation, Maintenance, and Repair, Legal, Sales, Executive Management, Research & Development
Senior Manager Business Risk and Control Management - Global Trade and Receivables Finance|
HSBC is the largest trade and receivable finance organisation in the world, offering a comprehensive range of forward-thinking open account supply chain and traditional trade solutions. The bank has been recognised by the industry’s most prominent publications and associations for its strength in combining innovation and service excellence with end-to-end customer solutions. HSBC GTRF serves as a core service provider for Commercial (CMB) and Global Banking (GBM) customers.
The role is responsible for ensuring Global Trade and Receivables Finance (GTRF) has a robust and compliant Business Risk Control capability across all GTRF areas in accordance with Group standards pertaining to Operational risk. The role should provide leadership, coordination and expertise to the business and business risk teams so they are able to deliver a robust Business Risk & Control Management (BRCM) capability for GTRF. This role is also responsible for business risk compliance with Group standards and regulatory and Group Audit requirements in respect of business risk control; and ensuring that controls are operating effectively through coordination of and collaboration with regional, country and impacted outsourced control monitoring teams.
Impact on the Business
- Be responsible for the ongoing effectiveness and management of the Global Trade and Receivables Finance (GTRF) Business Risk and Control Management (BRCM) function
- Implement the BRCM structure and disciplines through the appropriate teams
- Scope, risk assess and initiate a programme of global, regional and country specific themed control reviews
- Drive the implementation of robust and auditable BRCM plans
- Drive the business to achieve operational losses and operational loss incidents within risk appetite
- Provide a structure for the management of business risk including the creation and operation of appropriate Risk Management forums
- Assist the business in achieving satisfactory audit and Operating Risk & Internal Control (ORIC) reports
Customers / Stakeholders
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Business Development, HSBC Operations, Services &Technology (HOST), Business Portfolio Risk Management, Risk and Compliance, Global Trade and Receivables Finance (GTRF) Services and Transaction Risk Management
- Act as a GTRF champion to ensure that key objectives are prioritised appropriately within Global Banking & Markets (GBM) and Commercial Banking (CMB)
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with external stakeholders such as Industry Bodies, Regulators and Consultants
- Drive best operational practice through Business Risk and Control Management (BRCM) activity, themed reviews, liaison with other functional areas and GTRF Business Management
- Drive effective BRCM capability resulting in clean audits and Operating Risk & Internal Control (ORIC) reviews and reduced losses and incidents
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Support achievement of the HSBC vision, Values, goals and culture in personal behaviour, actions and decision making
- Provide technical leadership and support technical excellence by searching out external best practice, monitoring technical and professional developments, sharing knowledge and encouraging others to do the same in the best interests of HSBC and its customers
- Encourage and enable constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and matrix management in action and challenging actions and behaviours that are not consistent with HSBC's diversity policy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Develop and recommend changes and improvements to operating models, procedures and practices based on subject matter expertise and understanding of HSBC and market best practice
- Communicate and adhere to HSBC policy and procedures in order to ensure good operational, financial and project management, policy and procedural compliance and early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise
- Contribute to the development, implementation and maintenance of GTRF management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels
- Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of the application of GTRF policies, governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance
Management of Risk
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
- This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
- The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defence’. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
- Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
- The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
- The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
- Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
- The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
- The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Good understanding of operational risk and controls, preferably gained through experience in front line and risk roles
- Good understanding of the Group’s Operational Risk Framework
- Knowledge of the changing regulatory environment especially in the financial services sector.
- Leadership, management and coaching skills
- Proven problem solving skills with ability to consider alternative and lateral solutions
- Highly developed communication, presentation and influencing skills set.
- Ability to prioritise and work independently under pressure within a team environment
- Ability to use strong judgmental skills to identify and resolve complex problems whilst adhering to timelines and quality of output.
- Minimum of 8 years relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- A sound knowledge of the Group and the CMB business, including products, services, systems & processes.
- Business experience in a variety of roles (Corporate / Commercial Banking / GTRF) centered on delivery of high quality customer service.
- Exposure to an operations and a control environment, such as audit or compliance.