Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
|| Accounting/Auditing, Banking, Finance/Economics, Financial Services, Information Technology, Legal, Retail/Wholesale, Executive Management, Quality Control, Research & Development
Senior Manager, Projects and Operations|
The identification, development and mobilization of new technologies and methodologies to deliver higher quality, more robust, transparent and efficient analytics, analytic processes and analytic systems within Global Risk Analytics (GRA). To facilitate the delivery and sustainable uptake of such improved analytics, processes and systems. To partner with subject matter experts in the Global Risk Analytic disciplines (TR, WCR, OR, CR, FCC) to investigate or quickly prototype solutions to specific business problems. Where appropriate, to further enhance these solutions to production deployments. Strategic Analytics is an accelerated channel of innovation and R&D that complements the more conventional business and operational processes within GRA. To monitor the external environment and act as a conduit for the assimilation of new methods and technologies, and to engage with relevant vendors to explore new solutions for HSBC and drive change
Impact on the Business
- Build new platforms and cutting edge methods which will (1) substantially improve the consistency of risk model development across HSBC; (2) streamline the operational profile of model development projects (reducing costs and time); (3) reduce the risk of project failure; and (4) dramatically improve the model deployment process
- Provide a reference point for the exploration of advanced methods and innovation for other teams in GRA
Foster innovation in risk measurement and prototype modern processes of model development
Customers / Stakeholders
- Analytics units across GRA
- Global Business lines including GBM, CMB and Private Banking and Retail
- Group Risk functions, including GRA, WMR, FCC, CR, OR and Risk Strategy
Key banking regulators for HSBC and its units
Leadership & Teamwork
- Build and lead a highly skilled team of professional talent, driving an innovative approach to Risk Analytics.
- Provide effective leadership and performance management to nurture talent and drive collaboration across teams
- Develop a culture of curiosity, collaboration and commitment to delivery
- Actively sponsor and champion the innovation cycle within GRA
Be an active part of the GRA management team; especially in the sense of supporting other teams to achieve complex and challenging objectives
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Lead and motivate each of the key innovation teams to ensure timely delivery on R&D and rapid prototyping projects.
- Establish a robust governance structure and set of controls are in place to support a rapid prototyping approach,
Ensure that knowledge is captured and shared across the teams and not lost through the speed of rapid prototyping
- Identifying areas where the bank’s modelling infrastructure can be improved through the introduction of advanced, robust modelling technologies
- Engaging stakeholders collaboratively and effecting change (e.g., “hearts and minds”)
- Delivering to tight timelines with constrained resources and managing changing priorities.
- Resisting tactical solutions and instead focusing on strategic solutions which materially move the bank forward
- Identifying, developing and retaining highly skilled team members in a challenging and competitive environment
- Educating and influencing senior stakeholders across the group, encouraging more productive operational patterns
- Developing and maintaining market knowledge of best practice and current state of the art in risk analytics systems
- HSBC recognises the need for rapid improvement and adoption of innovative technologies across the bank. Within the context of GRA, this relates specifically to the significant improvement of analytic systems and processes.
- Model development teams across the bank will be the direct beneficiaries of developments. Second order benefits will accrue to the bank’s primary businesses as the speed and quality of the model development cycle improves.
- The R&D unit will complement the more traditional, conventional and lower risk projects by investigating alternate frameworks and methods through rapid prototyping and selective, short-cycle testing for assessing feasibility.
- Close connections will be retained by the business-facing teams within GRA (GBM and CMB in particular) to ensure that research has an operational context.
- The unit will: (1) maintain a continuous dialogue with RRA stakeholders; (2) use rapid prototyping methods to create tangible platforms for demonstrating concepts; and (3) aggressively seek feedback and stakeholder opinion.
Management of Risk
- The jobholder will continually assess operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions; legal and regulatory requirements; operating procedures and practices; management restructurings; and the impact of new technology.
- The jobholder will address any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
- The role will be the strategic lead for the development of advanced analytic tooling for GRA and manage a team of permanent and contract employees, and vendor consultants.
- This role will manage the Strategic Analytics budget as determined by the GRA COO, including vendor budget and contracting where external vendors are engaged.
- The role will also manage the CTA budget ($13m across 2016/2017).
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
The role requires:
- Advanced education in quantitative and/or analytical discipline
- An ability to build, lead and inspire small, technically-focused teams to develop prototypes that serve the wider goal of improving consistency, and have operational relevance in the eyes of key stakeholders
- The ability to socialise new concepts and prototypes across a diverse stakeholder group, with the proven ability to communicate and engage non-specialists in manner that makes technical detail to understandable
- Strong knowledge of banking regulation, banking risk concepts and modelling methodologies
- Advanced knowledge of rapid prototyping principles, and other conceptual frameworks related to innovation and development
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills for working with strategically-important stakeholders
- A tolerance for ambiguity and flexibility in the face of changing requirements
- An advanced awareness of key technologies and innovations that are relevant to the programmes pursued by the R&D unit
- An ability to take broad themes (such as ‘consistency’ and ‘quality’) and convert them into operational technologies that have a meaningful impact on HSBC Group