Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
|| Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations, Financial Services, Law Enforcement, and Security, Sales, Executive Management, Quality Control
Senior Mortgage Underwriter - FHA/VA Loans|
- Reviews, analyzes and decisions more complex mortgage loan products, which align with the organization's overall strategy and within Company and industry guidelines, focusing on four main points (applicant's ability and willingness to repay the loan, existing assets and collateral).
- Analyzes a broad range of credit and compliance documents related to the mortgage process, ensuring loan quality and integrity in alignment with HSBC and investor philosophies and guidelines.
- Collaborates with borrowers, sales representatives and other parties linked to the mortgage process.
- May work on more complex projects with assistance and oversight of managers.
Impact on the Business
- Review and evaluate mortgage credit applications to assess product fit, pricing accuracy and credit risk.
- Analyze and interpret complex credit reports, income/asset verifications, collateral/appraisal/title reports and other documentation required to support a credit decision or closing package.
- Exercise lending authority for first and/or second mortgages within lending limits determined by Credit Policy, ensuring compliance with credit guidelines, salability into the secondary market and minimization of risk at all times.
- Respond to telephone inquires and resolve mortgage issues, including but not limited to credit processing, closing and funding.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Identify alternative lending solutions for complex loan scenarios.
- Collaborate with borrowers, loan officers and internal (branch) and external partners to resolve inquiries and obtain additional information as required.
- Deepen existing relationships by providing exceptional service.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Engage other functions (e.g. quality assurance, fraud risk, compliance, legal, etc.) to mitigate risks that may be associated with the loan and/or customer.
- Collaborate daily in an efficient and effective manner within Mortgage and with internal partners, including Sales, Secondary Marketing, Credit Policy, Quality Assurance, Closing and Systems Administration, etc.
- Provide guidance and direction to junior staff members.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Increase pull-through percentage and decrease overall cycle time by analyzing and resolving conditions within prescribed time frame.
- Meet current service level standards while ensuring accuracy and quality standards.
- Completing multiple tasks under aggressive time constraints while making accurate decisions with a sense of urgency.
- Prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within deadlines.
- Mortgage Operations is primarily housed in one centralized location where most employees work on-site, in an office environment with flexible work shift options.
- The position interacts with external customers, outside vendors and other departments and the Bank to facilitate the mortgage lending process.
- This position processes mortgage loans for properties throughout the United States.
- Contingency work plans do exist and employees may be necessitated to follow these plans.
- Continuous evolution toward a paperless mortgage loan process.
Management of Risk
- Analyze a full range of credit, collateral and legal documentation to ensure collateral supports Companys overall risk.
- Ensure the Companys security interest in the mortgage is protected.
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Must have working knowledge of FHA and VA loans.
- Minimum of a high school diploma plus four years proven and progressive mortgage lending operations experience or equivalent, including mortgage loan underwriting.
- A Bachelor's degree plus four years proven and progressive mortgage lending operations experience or equivalent, including mortgage loan underwriting, is preferred.
- Proven communications, organizational, decision-making and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with personal computers as well as pertinent mainframe systems and software packages.
- Knowledge of regulations and guidelines impacting Mortgage processing, closing and underwriting activities.
- Ability to adapt swiftly to ongoing business evolution, as driven by regulatory agencies, economic indicators or internal business directive.