NOTE: This is NOT an IT role or environment. Only applicants with architecture, design, civil engineering, construction management, and or owner’s rep backgrounds in commercial real estate will be considered.
Seeking a key individual to join the team responsible for rehabilitating and developing a huge decommissioned military facility into a cutting-edge research and development campus in Mountain View, CA. This exciting project features opportunities to create revolutionary facility re-use strategies and work with new applications of construction technology on a massive scale. This position will require on-site management of multiple construction projects occurring simultaneously.
The Senior Construction Field Representative will be responsible for overseeing construction quality, progress, and safety for multiple projects occurring simultaneously. This position, with the support of one Junior Construction Field Representative, will be the on-site owner representation for the project management team associated with this program of projects. There are site utilities projects, transportation improvements, and a new ground-up construction project.
The site wide utilities program includes large scale medium voltage underground electrical distribution, fiber optic, natural gas, wet utility infrastructure, airfield navigational aids, and airfield lighting replacement projects. This site has challenges associated with environmental conditions, wildlife constraints, high groundwater, and active operations such as the airfield. Due to some of these unique challenges, trenchless construction methods such as HDD will be used to install the dry utilities under the airfield and in sensitive areas.
There are some transportation improvement projects required for this large site. Transportation related projects range from road rehabilitation to pedestrian and bicyclist improvements.
Another project is a large scale relocation project for the California Air National Guard which includes redevelopment of a 110 acre site. This project will occur in the heart of a military unit that must be mission ready at all times. There are multiple new buildings including a new airplane hangar that must be installed as part of this project.
The Senior Construction Field Representative will supervise one Junior Construction Field Representative and oversee and multiple construction contracts in the field. The Senior Project Representative will be given the opportunity to get involved with the projects during the design and permitting phase. The successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with the office Project Managers to build requirements into the contract and construction documents to help ensure a smooth and successful project during the construction phase.
• U.S. Citizen (Required because the project is located on Federal Land with this requirement for badging)
• 12+ years of steadily increasing construction management responsibility.
• Expertise in overseeing construction projects with a project value over $50 million that are a part of a larger program with a total combined project value in excess of $300 million.
• Experience working on military facilities with experience on Air Force bases preferred.
• Background in Civil Engineering or Construction Management preferred.
• Must have proven experience dealing with both site development and building construction projects.
• Knowledge of current construction safety rules and regulations.
• OSHA 30 and OSHA 510 certificates preferred.
• Demonstrated skill in effectively supervising construction contractors.
• Experience with construction involving reuse of existing structures.
• Expertise in construction projects involving environmental contamination.
• Proven ability to build strong relationships with inspectors and contractors
• Effective problem solving skills
• Highly efficient with excellent documentation and organizational skills.
• A great team player who brings out the best in teammates and keeps diverse stakeholders working together toward project objectives.
• Serve as the on-site liaison and report to the owner’s project management team
• Review project schedule and mitigate potential delays
• Analyze, manage, and mitigate risks
• Safety Oversight - Review contractor safety plans, ensure contractor compliance with owner’s safety requirements
• Quality Oversight - Verification of installed work, take photos of progress, and complete daily/weekly reports, ensure the contract requirements are being met, review contractor’s quality control plan and ensure compliance in the field
• Track project progress - communicate on-site issues to the PMs, attend project OAC meetings
• Project Documentation - Participate in review of RFIs and submittals as needed
• Participate in constructability reviews
• Bid phase support
• Change order support
• Environmental compliance monitoring
• Help manage closeout procedures (punch list, commissioning, training, as-builts, etc)
• Represent the owner in construction meetings, track issues and coordinate project documentation such as RFIs, submittals, change orders, schedule, and inspections
• BS in Architecture, Civil Engineering, or Construction Management
• 10+ years of demonstrated knowledge of and experience with managing interior Tenant Improvement and/or Ground-Up construction projects in commercial environments
• Certification in PE, AIA, LEED, or CMAA preferred
• Ability to organize, plan and manage multiple activities/processes while also managing project teams
• Solid understanding of the construction industry, terminology, codes, documentation, and design disciplines
• Demonstrated history of constant evaluation of project-related processes, requirements, and risks
• Confidence to recommend or accommodate necessary changes using customer input to make improvements and meet/exceed internal and external expectations
• Proven ability to build committed and transparent relationships with various stakeholders, including clients, architects, engineers, subcontractors, city officials, and internal team members
• Solid track record of closing out jobs on time and on budget with the highest levels of customer satisfaction
• Leadership experience with both internal team members as well as subcontractors, vendors, & other external partners
With access to top-tier market intelligence, planning, local site selection and asset strategies, our Global Workplace Services offering includes Enterprise Facilities Management (EFM), Project Management (PJM), Advisory & Transaction Services (A&T), and Management Consulting. We offer end-to-end expertise across all workplace types, scalable delivery, a commitment to world-class safety and ongoing innovations in building efficiencies, energy conservation and CRE technology.