Senior Business Management Manager|
Global Payments and Cash Management (PCM) is one of HSBC's global product lines generating over 10% of Group revenues. Supporting Commercial Banking (CMB) and Global Banking and Markets (GBM), our business is made up of almost 10,000 people in more than 55 countries, and is uniquely positioned to help clients make and receive payments, across borders and regulations, in multiple currencies. Our expertise in this area has been recognised by the industry’s most prominent publications as the best global cash manager for corporate and financial institutions in consecutive years.
The role has a broad remit covering aspects of business strategy, planning and design, business analytics and business performance management across the Payments and Cash Management (PCM) Business. Reporting into two global businesses, the role demands are high, requiring the ability to navigate a complex management hierarchy and global footprint, with challenging deliverables and timelines.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Implementation of the Global PCM strategy, Target Operating Model and business plan
Execution of agreed strategic priorities, investment and change portfolio and capability improvements, to strengthen PCM’s position within the market
Producing key Management Information (MI) to drive performance management, cost management and sales metrics management
Undertaking business and market reviews to address specific in-country opportunities and threats
Facilitating high quality communication and stakeholder engagement across the PCM Organisation, Global Businesses and Functions
Defining and embedding global best practice, reflecting customer segmentation and local requirements
Helping to drive the future vision of the PCM business in alignment with HSBC’s digital strategy
Impact on the Business/Function
- Lead a variety of projects and initiatives to improve business performance and ensure alignment to Global and Regional imperatives
- Develop business cases, and where required undertake financial modelling of business/countries/opportunities
- Coordinate and run Monthly Business Reviews to drive management discipline through the business
- Identify, support and coordinate revenue and cost enhancements whilst sharing best practice globally
- Drive improvements in efficiency across PCM through delivery of core projects with demonstrated reduction in costs
- Utilisation of business analytics to drive customer acquisition, cross-selling, Relationship Manager (RM) portfolio alignment and implementation of customer segmentation
- Creation of appropriate operating budgets through departmental planning/interface with finance
- Monitor industry and client trends and identify potential opportunities to strengthen PCM’s position within the market
- Implementation of segment Target Operating Models and People and Structure redesign
Customers / Stakeholders
- Maintain strong networks with key internal stakeholders, enabling the ability to execute at pace and be seen as a key influencer
- Build and maintain relationships with external regulators/interested parties, and ensure PCM meets its obligations in connection with the requirements raised
- Identify issues early and provide a central point of escalation to our business partners
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
Leadership & Teamwork
- Communicate a clear vision for the PCM business that is aligned to the overall HSBC vision, Values and goals, and inspires and engages people to create an inclusive, high performing, customer-centred culture
- Lead, develop and motivate the leadership team to attract, retain and develop the capacity, capability and talent to provide for succession and ensure delivery of business objectives
- Set expectations, share best practice and manage, monitor, coach and develop team leaders and others to ensure that they maximise their performance, meet the required standards, and continuously develop their capabilities and experience
- Lead and encourage constructive cross-country and cross-business teamwork by demonstrating collaboration and matrix management in action and challenging actions and behaviours that are not consistent with HSBC's diversity policy and/or the best interests of the business and its customers
Operational Effectiveness & Control:
- Manage the processes, infrastructure and resources needed to deliver agreed team plans and targets, identifying and implementing improvements and collaborating with colleagues to maximise end to end integration, effectiveness and efficiency
- Maintain a robust and efficient control environment across PCM to ensure good operational, financial and project management and compliance with HSBC policy and procedures, together with early identification and effective resolution or escalation of issues that arise
- Lead the development, implementation and maintenance of PCM management information, analysis and reporting framework that supports and informs timely and effective business management and decision making at all levels
- Lead the implementation and oversight of PCM policy and governance frameworks, procedures, practices and standards to ensure quality, effective risk management and regulatory compliance
Management of Risk
The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation.
This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviours that form part of the HSBC Values and culture and adhering to HSBC risk policies and procedures, including notification and escalation of any concerns and taking required action in relation to points raised by audit and/or external regulators.
The jobholder is responsible for managing and mitigating operational risks in their day to day operations. In executing these responsibilities, the Group has adopted risk management and internal control structure referred to as the ‘Three Lines of Defence’. The jobholder should ensure they understand their position within the Three Lines of Defence, and act accordingly in line with operational risk policy, escalating in a timely manner where they are unsure of actions required.
Through the implementation the Global AML, Sanctions and ABC Policies, supporting Guidance, and Line of Business Procedures the jobholder will make informed decisions in accordance with the core principles of HSBC's Financial Crime Risk Appetite.
The following statement is only for roles with core responsibilities in Operational Risk Management (Risk Owner, Control Owner, Risk Steward, BRCM, and Operational Risk Function
The jobholder has responsibility for overseeing and ensuring that Operational risks are managed in accordance with the Group Standards Manual, Risk FIM, & relevant guidelines & standards. The jobholder should comply with the detailed expectations and responsibilities for their core role in operational risk management through ensuring all actions take account of operational risks, and through using the Operational Risk Management Framework appropriately to manage those risks.
This will be achieved by:
Continuously reassessing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
Ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring, addressing areas of concern in conjunction with Risk and relevant line colleagues, and also by ensuring that actions resulting from points raised by internal or external audits, and external regulators, are correctly implemented in a timely fashion.
Observation of Internal Controls
The jobholder will adhere to, and be able to demonstrate adherence to, internal controls and will implement the Group compliance policy by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures.
The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
The following statement is only for roles with managerial or specific Compliance responsibilities
The jobholder will implement measures to contain compliance risk across the business area. This will be achieved by liaising with Compliance department about business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Knowledge of the PCM business and broader construct of HSBC’s Global Businesses
- Ability to multitask and prioritise a range of requests / actions to best support the group
- Ability to prepare business cases, business plans
- Deliver quality reports, presentations under strict deadlines
- Highly numeracy and business presentation skills
- Ability to work within a small team structure and on solo tasks
- Display a high level of objectivity and ability to challenge senior management on various aspects of their business
- Understanding of Liquidity and payments and receivables products
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Required