Senior Digital Optimization Manager|
This role is responsible for supporting delivery of revenue plans for the Digital channel in the RBWM Customer Group, using the Digital CoE as the mechanism. Delivery will require them to understand the value channel, forecast future sales targets and implementing plans to achieve them – the strongest element being the overall achievement of the Digital plan in conjunction with regional and local entity teams.
Manage and lead Digital Optimization operational activities within Digital Centre of Excellence (DCoE) across DCoE global sites with primary responsibility of market engagement, planning and delivery along with being the point of contact into the Global Platform Management team.
The role will require a high level of energy to the implementation, expansion and retention of HSBC optimization programs. This position is a combination of evangelist, program manager, conversion rate, desktop and mobile optimization specialist. The jobholder will work closely with providing operational insight, offering a pragmatic approach to Global Digital Teams and other global functions such as Analytics.
Working with the business to educate senior managers and channel owners on the benefits of optimization and to develop and prioritize optimization strategies for their digital channels based on local/global goals and objectives to maximize revenue generation ($200m ) and business growth. Interpreting Group Digital strategy in order to ensure hypotheses and identified opportunities to support this.
As the primary contact the role holder will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day execution of testing programs, including the gathering, communication and documentation of project requirements, marketing consulting, data analysis and complex problem solving, while working closely with the global digital and analytics teams.
The role holder will build and maintain exceptionally strong relationships advising them on how to apply quantifiable long-term, state-of-the-art optimization strategies to their digital properties, including but not limited to A/B testing, multivariate testing (MVT), personalization and content targeting.
Bringing a high level of enthusiasm, creativity and resourcefulness to the role, role holder should not be afraid to take risks, possess a great decision-making ability and will excel in high pressure and escalation situations.
He/she will exude a passion for what we do and be able to engage and captivate an audience at all levels of seniority. This position will have high impact within HSBC.
Impact on the Business
- Lead DCoE Optimization activities across regional DCoE's with primary responsibility to drive best in class digital channel experience and sales
- Lead a team of c. 8 Specialists and Analysts (GCB5 and GCB6) in creating and managing reporting around planned activity, including pre- and post-test analysis that will support local entities and global business to reach specific targets
- Digital Engagement
- Digital Transactions
- Digital Leads
- Digital Revenue of $200m
- Central to ensuring that optimization activity is underpinned by UCD principles and can be efficiently scoped, designed, developed, deployed and measured, engaging the necessary resources as required
- Create optimization tests to drive multi-million dollar revenue growth
- Provide deep and/or broad subject matter expertise and consultancy on Optimization including education for in-market teams.
- Production of Business Cases to provide data to underpin assumptions and show clear benefits of each test.
- Drive technology partners to improve optimization capabilities
- Contribute to the development of Optimization Specialists and Analysts through support and coaching in web analytics / reporting / optimization techniques in line with COE principles.
- Provide leadership on-behalf of the Digital CoE’s at business, HTS and Marketing forums reporting between various functions acting as a consultant for Digital and engaging the CoE functions to provide solutions
- Demonstrate an awareness of needs of the Business, facilitating engagement with the CoE functions to provide innovative solutions to issues
- Play a leading role in building a skilled, motivated team that is recognized as a Centre for Excellence
- Become a Champion for change to inspire stakeholders, anticipating their future needs and facilitating a structure to deliver solutions
- Develop and manage Governance procedures to minimize divergence from Digital Core solutions. Procedures should be comprehensive, clear and unambiguous, and include SLAs; individual/team ownership; mitigation strategies, resolution scenarios and escalation policy
Customers / Stakeholders
- Act as the main point of contact for the Global Digital Platform Team, Global Business teams & Analytic teams; with accountability for collaboration within DCoE to understand local RBWM objectives and to align optimization activity to support this
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders including Group CVM, Group Digital, SWD, BI, Global metrics team to standardize reporting and optimize channel performance.
- Lead definition and prioritization of optimization activity consulting with in country teams: identify current state; undertake analysis and requirements gathering / documentation, putting forward recommendations.
- Act as point of escalation point for issues and concerns for entities and global business including Digital Business, as well as wider business community in charge of cross sell and customer servicing initiatives
- Analytics will be a key provider of insights and also a key enabler in generating targeting criteria / extracting metrics
- Key stakeholders include digital, business teams in CVM & Wealth, marketing, analytics and technology
Leadership & Teamwork
- Build and lead a high performance team in accordance with Digital Centre of Excellence principles
- Direct Leadership of up to 8 FTE (@ GCB5/6 grade) and indirect leadership of vendor teams
- Establish excellent working relationship with digital teams and the wider content requestors community across the business
- Influence technology partners to resolve and improve optimization tools and technologies
- Vendor management to ensure high quality and expense management
- Lead governance process to support optimization and reporting by creating global optimization footprint
- Identifying key risks, issues and interdependencies and providing appropriate mitigation strategies or escalating as appropriate.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Create operation governance structures within Digital CoE
- Identification of key risks, issues and interdependencies and providing appropriate mitigation strategies or escalating as appropriate
- Facilitate sharing of best practice across Digital CoE supported Entities and with wider Digital community globally
- Adherence to in country regulatory and compliance policies
- Ensure HSBC is not put at any operational or reputational Risk by sharing knowledge of, and adherence to, group, HTS and CoE processes, FIM’s and necessary engagement with other group Functions where required to ensure change is created and delivered fit for purpose
- HSBC has evolved over its 140 year history and its adoption of electronic channels can be seen as important as the development of the business in China. Achieving a leading position in this aspect of Financial Services will take a number of years requiring the development of new capabilities and competencies with which the Mgmt. of the bank and the current culture is largely unfamiliar
- Ensuring that all HSBC RBWM services offer standout customer experience and fully deliver on our brand promise
- Provision of common global solutions while recognizing that local regulations and customs will require the service to be tailored. Even where local regulation and customs tailor the service accordingly, the service quality HSBC offers will be to the same standard across the world
- Provide market-leading, compelling digital services that can leverage our global scale and distribution network. With increased connections between our businesses around the world, the aim is to take us from a collection of locally orientated propositions to one global set. These are delivered locally, according to globally defined standards, but with a local flavor, to enable us to compete and lead in the markets we choose to be in
- The Optimization discipline is a critical component in the delivery chain by identifying areas for improvement, recommending solutions and managing the tests through to conclusion
- We need to continually improve to accelerate time-to-market and optimize ROI. The Optimization function will support this goal by embedding optimization activity within markets as a constant BAU process and delivering value though viable ‘best in class’ optimization recommendations and processes
- The role holder will be responsible for ensuring that the content resource pool can meet prioritized demand, across various portfolios
- Provide market-leading, compelling products and propositions that can leverage our global scale and distribution network. With increased connections between our businesses around the world, the aim is to take us from a collection of locally orientated propositions to one global set. These are delivered locally, according to globally defined standards, but with a local flavor, to enable us to compete and lead in the markets we choose to be in
- The journey to create sustainable cost savings and operational efficiencies is being driven by standardizing systems, processes and products on a global scale. To create savings we need to drive out waste and duplication, streamline processes and take out paper where we can. Digital channels will be a major facilitator of achieving these objectives.
- The job holder must ensure the creation of one, modern bank, by supporting the creation of one IT infrastructure, refining and removing redundant processes and automating others to ensure we deliver the best possible customer experience
- The predominant technology varies market by market and the approaches developed needs to cater for this while trying to be as globally consistent as possible
- The role holder is responsible for any interaction with the Digital Centre of Excellence, initiating and facilitating engagement and ensuring the Digital CoE is represented effectively and supports business areas effectively against pre agreed measures.
- This member of the Digital CoE may be based in any major geography. This may demand international travel (20-25% of the year), and when operating from the home country, will require significant schedule flexibility to allow for daily/weekly interaction with CoE team members and project teams from all Regions.
- Primary interactions will be with two broad groups: (a) Within the Digital CoE Team itself, including regional DCoE, (b) With Global and in country Business and Project Teams.
- Metrics solutions which are used for measurement to drive optimization opportunities largely use Web trends and Cognos reporting and data querying tools.
- Management of Risk (Operational Risk / FIM requirements)
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organization. This will be achieved by consistently displaying the behaviors required to support the Best Place to Bank principles of Make Better Products, Sell Them Properly and Keep Them Sold.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring.
- Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
Support achievement of Global digital objectives:
- Commercialization: 12% Revenue growth, 20% Leads growth, 14% Increase in transactions servicing
- Business & Technology platform: metrics support for GSP, GPWS and VAM
- Product Management Pipeline: Integrated Wealth/Insurance, Streamlining & Sales journey requirements / End to end digital journey alignment from Marketing to Service Delivery
- Ways of Working, Strategy and Governance.
- Peer with in country and global Digital teams, along with senior stakeholders in Analytics, Marketing and SWD
- The jobholder will interact with multiple RBWM Digital teams in order to ensure the most rapid and efficient delivery of optimization tests to businesses that are consuming this.
- Deliver digital optimization where commissioned to priority markets, plus smaller markets when and where identified
- Budget responsibility for team travel, training and incentives of c. £50k, responsibility for ensuring that any team recruitment is undertaken in line with DCOE headcount/budget plans and third party contract budgets (TBC).
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience with A/B Testing and Multivariate Testing (MVT) solutions essential; experience with personalization projects or programs an advantage
- Strong quantitative skills and familiarity with statistical analysis or experiment design
- Proven program/project management experience and understanding of client business needs
- Ability to produce clear concise technical documentation
- Working knowledge of Webtrends and Cognos (or relatable) MI and analysis tools
- Subject Matter Expertise of channel, including technical, commercial, market place and customer considerations.
- Strong Commercial focus, ability to balance risks vs. rewards and maximize the cost effectiveness and profitability for the business
- Pragmatic decision making skills, with the ability to make clear judgments based on a range of factors, e.g. commercial, risk, and customer experience
- Outstanding communication skills, with the ability to tailor messages and deliverables to stakeholders of all levels, both internally and externally, to explain complex or technical issues
- Innovative – the ability to deliver challenging targets/goals through new and innovative means
- To have a clear high level view and understanding of the Multi-Channel and Digital strategies along with regional sales / servicing plans
- Respectful of different cultures, working with colleagues from across all 5 regions (North America, LATAM, Middle East, Asia Pacific and Europe)
- High levels of resilience and self-motivation
- Strong performance management and team development skills
- The ability to quickly understand customer and operational considerations
- Supporting executive and non-executive working groups and effecting change through people in a large matrix organization
- Strong understanding of banking / HSBC and understanding of how change drives benefits for HSBC, its customers and other stakeholders.
- Experience in both the developed and emerging market