Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
||Seattle, WA S
|| Accounting/Auditing, Customer Service and Call Center, Education and Library, Financial Services, Healthcare, Other, Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician, Human Resources, Information Technology, Law Enforcement, and Security, Science, Counseling, Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration, Research & Development, Medical, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services
Senior Director, HR Solutions and Total Rewards|
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (“Fred Hutch” or “the Center”) is one of the premier cancer research centers in the world and home to three Nobel laureates. Fred Hutch is an independent, nonprofit research institution, located on a magnificent campus in the South Lake Union area of Seattle. With the mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases as causes of human suffering and death, the Center conducts research of the highest standards to improve prevention and treatment of cancer and related diseases. Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation, the Fred Hutch’s five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science.
In order to fulfill its mission, Fred Hutch is dedicated to:
- Generating new scientific discoveries and translating them into effective medical practices, therapies and public health approaches;
- Recruiting, supporting and training highly qualified scientists and physicians in an environment that promotes collaboration and excellence;
- Cooperating with other research entities and medical institutions to assure worldwide access to new research findings and technical developments;
- Providing sensitive, efficient and effective care for patients participating in our experimental therapies and other studies; and
- Promoting the importance of scientific research, responsible medical care, healthy environments and personal behaviors through public education and advocacy.
The scientific palette of Fred Hutch is extensive; it has over 270 research scientists and 2,800 employees. Areas of research focus include hematologic malignancies, solid tumor biology, immunotherapy, early detection, tumor research, international research, fundamental science, cancer and prevention research as well as substantial programs in global oncology and HIV/AIDS. Additionally, given that the eradication of cancer and other life-threatening diseases is an ambitious goal that demands tenacity, scientific excellence, collaboration and breakthrough creativity, Fred Hutch has five scientific divisions working toward this end: Basic Sciences, Clinical Research, Human Biology, Public Health Sciences, and Vaccine and Infectious Disease. The Center has recently established cross-cutting integrated research centers organized to promote team science involving members from two or more of the scientific divisions.
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Human Resources, Chief Human Resources Officer
The Senior Director, HR Solutions and Total Rewards will create and lead Human Resources practices and objectives that will support a culture that supports Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (“Fred Hutch”) and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance’s (“SCCA”) Vision and Mission. Provides management/consultative services, develops, implements, coordinates, policies and programs in the areas of Recruitment, Employment, Labor/Employee Relations, Performance Management, Compensation, Regulatory Compliance, Benefits and Immigration.
- Functions as a strategic partner in developing HR initiatives to support operational business partners. Uses critical thinking and influencing skills to create organizational harmony when confronting divergent positions. Uses metrics and data sources to make decisions and recommendations. Is an excellent listener who listens to all sides and counter/agrees appropriately.
- HR Business Partner Model: Design, implement and oversees the HR Business Partner Service model, as well as a cohort of Human Resources Business Partners. Defines roles and boundaries between HR Business Partners and Content Specialty Areas. Responsible for overall performance of all day-to-day HR customer service for all employee and faculty groups throughout Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. Responsible for ensuring proactive HR services provided to employees through HR Business Partner rounding and other visibility and collaboration strategies.
- HR Policy: Recommends, formulates, interprets, and applies HR policies and procedures for Fred Hutch and SCCA departments. Ensures that HR policies and procedures are in alignment with Fred Hutch and SCCA Vision and Mission, as well as with relevant HR law. Considers impact of HR decisions on the organizations and communicates across both organizations to create awareness and support.
- Compensation: Oversees with the Director, Compensation and Benefits strategies for Fred Hutch and SCCA Compensation Programs for employees, staff, and executives. Preserves the integrity of these programs by applying the principles consistently and fairly to all situations. Develops goals, strategies, and policies for an effective performance management system. Establishes the guidelines and parameters for the annual Merit Program. Identifies internal/external equity issues for groups of employees and make appropriate recommendations.
- Employee/Labor Relations: Oversees with the Associate General Counsel/Director, Employee and Labor Relations practices necessary to establish a positive employer-employee relationship and promote a high level of employee morale. Manages employee relations issues by determining root causes for issues and developing interventions to neutralize situations; thereby improving the labor environment. Protects interest of employees in accordance with HR policies and governmental laws and regulations. Oversees the Employee Grievance/Appeals process. Responsible for negotiating and complying with Union Contracts. Establishes and maintains a collaborative relationship with third party representatives.
- Compliance/HR Organizational Integrity: Identifies legal and regulatory requirements (OSHA, EEO, Wage & Hours, JCAHO, DOH, DPW, DOL, etc.), Directs the preparation of information requested or required for compliance. Oversees the management of HR compliance/organizational integrity for all appropriate state, federal and regulatory agencies for HR areas by ensuring the security, accuracy and integrity of HR policies, records, and personnel files. Ensures employee accountability by linking rewards with fulfilling employment-related job requirements.
- Employee Leave Management: Responsible for managing the leaves/accommodation plans for Fred Hutch and SCCA.
Respect – Value Others
- Shows respect for the opinions of others
- Respects the diversity (race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability) of our employees, co-workers, visitors, or others associated with Fred Hutch and SCCA. Maintains confidential information and prevents unauthorized disclosure of information
- Demonstrates professional behavior and addresses the unprofessional behavior of others
- Ensures all actions or inactions create a safe environment for all employees, co-workers & visitors
Integrity – Do Right
- Consistently follows up on issues and requests in a timely manner
- Actively seeks feedback on his or her job performance from others
- Learns from best practices & generates fresh approaches
- Accepts responsibility for his or her part of a problem
- Communicates honestly & directly, shows diplomacy & tact
- Takes responsibility for outcomes
Empathy – Be With Them
- Creates healing environment
- Addresses needs of employees, co-workers and others
- Uses active listening skills with employees and co-workers
- Shows compassion for employees and co-workers by taking time to listen and being sensitive to the emotional needs of others
- Builds and maintains harmonious, professional, and productive relationships with others
Affinity – Nurture Each Other
- Serves as an effective formal & informal leader of teams & groups
- Shows respect for others (e.g., uses please, thank you, and other common courtesies)
- Does not engage in gossip or talk about others who are not present
- Facilitates resolution when disagreements or misunderstandings occur
Responsibility – Watch, Listen, Act
- Careful in the performance of job; following all policies and procedures, and appropriately challenging when necessary
- Does not waste resources and actively looks for opportunities to save time and money; achieves positive fiscal results
- Understands how his or her role impacts both the goals of his or her department and the organizations
- Makes sound decisions based on analysis, experience & judgment
- Delegates effectively & communicates goals to employees
- Takes calculated risks and does things that are new, different, or out of the box when necessary to reach goals
- Fosters positive employee relations; hires appropriate people & maintains high standards
- Demonstrates that he or she is fully present while at work
The candidate must possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field required.
- Eight to ten years of progressive leadership responsibilities in Human Resources generalist experience (business partner, policy, total rewards and ER).
- Proven expertise in building dynamic human resources functional teams (ex: HR Business Partner model, performance management systems or compliance/internal audit)
- Excellent communication and project management skills are essential.
- Strong collaboration and relationship building skills, both within human resources and across all key stakeholders.
- Ability to obtain successful outcomes by continuously striving to identify new and innovative ways of getting the work done more efficiently and effectively.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- Knowledge of relevant labor and employment law within Washington.
- Experience in healthcare or a research institute environment.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center|
Please visit our employer showcase!