Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
||Seattle, WA S
|| Computers, Software, Engineering, Information Technology, Installation, Maintenance, and Repair, Internet/E-Commerce, Law Enforcement, and Security, Sales, Science, Executive Management, Quality Control, Research & Development, Web Technology, Nonprofit and Volunteer Services, Energy / Utilities
Systems Engineer III|
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Systems Engineer III is expected to ensure the stability, integrity, and efficient operation of infrastructure systems that supports core organizational functions; complete routine assignments and/or project tasks. The SE III provides operational support for authentication, monitoring, messaging and collaboration systems; servers, storage and data protection systems. S/he is responsible for building, monitoring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing operating systems and infrastructure systems’ performance to identify, resolve and communicate issues. The Systems Engineer III implements medium-to-large scale and potentially complex systems. The work assignments of the SE III will follow both existing and newly created solutions. S/he must be able to recognize and respond to complex and non-routine issues, and plan and lead large scale, complex assignments. Additionally, the SE III is responsible for the evaluation of systems and assisting with determining future needs to create and drive improvements of infrastructure technology, processes and standards.
The Systems Engineer III reports to the Systems Engineering Manager.
May perform some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Fulfill day-to-day operational tasks associated with maintaining infrastructure systems.
- Serve as technical lead or team member for large, complex projects to provide new or improved infrastructure services.
- Install/build, configure, administer, and decommission infrastructure systems, including upgrades, patches and migrations
- Provide 24/7 on-call support for mission critical infrastructure systems on a rotating basis.
- Create, modify, and delete user accounts using the Account Management System.
- Provide Tier 3 Support of infrastructure systems. Act as an escalation point for technical issues as required.
- Monitor and report on infrastructure systems’ usage, capacity and availability. Set appropriate monitoring and alerting levels for infrastructure systems.
- Respond to incidents and service outages to restore service interruptions in a timely manner. Fulfill service requests in the most supportable and expedient way.
- Monitor and tune infrastructure systems for optimal performance.
- Control and limit infrastructure systems’ access in compliance with security policies and best practices to maintain system integrity.
- Create new and maintain current and accurate technical documentation and diagrams.
- Develop and nurture relationships and collaborate with other members of IT staff and end users to resolve technical challenges.
- Lead hardware / software evaluation for infrastructure systems.
- Participate in and present at Design Reviews to ensure reasonable and supportable solutions.
- Lead and promote the use of and offer improvements for departmental processes such as change management, incident management and problem management.
- Perform assigned tasks to improve processes, meet departmental goals.
- Analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve infrastructure systems’ issues.
- Identify opportunities and improve operational efficiencies.
- Eliminate manual tasks via configuration management and automation tools or scripts.
- Design, plan, build and lead system and disaster recovery tests.
- Train and excel in expertise of specialized technical area(s). Act as a subject matter expert in specialized technical area(s).
- Mentor entry and intermediate level staff.
- Perform complex planned maintenance after-hours / weekends as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Deliver formal and informal presentations on a variety of technical topics.
- Inform leadership of systems status, currently tracked issues or problems.
- Perform analysis, capacity planning, and performance planning on server or storage platforms.
- Work effectively with vendors, contractors and other staff to coordinate system installations and provide quality assurance oversight.
- Ability to effectively prioritize work, juggling daily support responsibilities with project driven tasks.
- Strong ability to analyze, troubleshoot and identify root causes for large and complex technical problems.
- Ability to develop reasonable and effective creative solutions.
- Ability to interact successfully and communicate clearly. Able to exercise a high degree of discretion and judgment.
- Aptitude for developing scripts and other tools for automations.
- Ability to document and diagram complex systems.
- Pursue continued professional and technical education and training.
- Promote a positive and safe work environment.
- Strong work ethic, self-directed, and resourceful.
Expertise in one or more of the following:
- Five plus years of experience supporting a complex messaging environment with multiple platforms, anti-spam, and mail routing systems.
- Five plus year of experience supporting an enterprise data protection environment including archiving hundreds of TBs of data.
- Five plus years of experience managing large storage platforms containing PBs of data, working with storage protocols (iSCSI, NFS, and CIFS).
- Five plus years of experience managing a multi-farm SharePoint environment.
- Five plus years of experience building and supporting virtualization technologies.
Knowledge & Skills
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field desired; or equivalent work experience.
- Seven plus years of system administrator or engineer experience in an enterprise with increasing responsibilities.
- Five plus years of experience supporting two or more server operating systems in a large complex heterogeneous environment.
- Three plus years of experience using Python or PowerShell programming for system administration.
- Advanced skills with server operating systems, such as Microsoft Server, CentOS, Open SUSE, RHEL or SLES.
- Expert skills administering Microsoft Active Directory, DFS and WINS; experience of multiple OSes authenticating to AD; experience with AD architecture and integration with Linux systems, LDAP, and Kerberos
- Expert skills administering Linux distribution(s); experience authenticating to AD/LDAP and managing permissions.
- Advanced technical knowledge of current software protocols, and Internet standards, including DHCP, DNS, LDAP, NTP, SMTP, SNMP, and SSH.
- Strong multi-faceted, analytical troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Advance technical knowledge of various RAID configurations and their trade-offs.
- Strong presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Competent use of desktop applications.
- Reliable contributor both individually and as a member of the team
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center|
Please visit our employer showcase!