Substitute teachers help students to learn subject matter and/or skills that are required for scheduled lessons and provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms in the absence of the regular classroom teacher.
- Reviews the plans and schedule to be followed during the teaching day with the school leader or designated teacher
- Teaches the lessons prepared by the absent teacher
- Reports in writing, on the form provided, the day’s activities at conclusion of each day and provides other feedback as requested by the school leader
- Follows all district policies, rules, and procedures to which regular teachers are subject and which good teaching practice dictates
- Consults, as appropriate, with the school leader before initiating any lesson or other procedure not specified in the teacher’s plans
- Maintains as fully as possible the established routines and procedures of the school and classrooms to which he/she is assigned
- Assumes responsibility for overseeing pupil behavior in class and at other times during the school day as requested
- Maintains appropriate student behavior at all times throughout the school day for assigned students
- Keeps informed about current educational trends and new methods in education
- Utilizes the practices and procedures in the Substitute Teachers’ Handbook distributed annually by KIPP Houston Public Schools (?)
- Maintains good relations with the faculty and staff of the district
- Treats information about students and staff with the utmost confidence
Education and Knowledge
Degreed graduate of an accredited college or university, Bachelor’s Degree required
Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
Have excellent integrity and demonstrate good moral character and initiative.
Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of child growth and development, effective instructional strategies, curriculum content, and classroom management.
Exhibit a personality that demonstrates enthusiasm and interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents, and the community.
Experience collaborating with team members and providing constructive and instructive feedback
Excellent interpersonal skills
Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative